Cheeky Quotes

Friday, 27 April 2012

The Cabin in the Woods


Dir: Drew Goddard

Cast: Kirsten Connelly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchinson, Fran Kranz

Certificate: 15

Rating: 5/5

If you go down to the woods today, you’re in for a big surprise – literally. There have been so many generic horror films that fail to be unique or completely revitalize the genre. As I mentioned in my review for The Woman in Black, they tend to be gratuitously gory with actors that make Eastenders look like Chekov – I am not a fan of horror. However, due to the hype of the ‘game-changing’ film by Drew Goddard’s The Cabin in the Woods, I thought I would see what all the fuss is about. Youtube film, game and television critic Jeremy Jahns said in his review that the film reminded him of a Stephen King novel. Now when he said this I wasn’t too sure – there are a lot of good Stephen King novels such as ‘It’ and ‘The Mist’, and personally I thought Jeremy was building my anticipation up too much and that I would be disappointed and somewhat unfulfilled by the film – but he hit the nail on the head. This film, like the works of King, plays on your mind for a long time after you have left the cinema. It is not because it is overly creepy or scary, but because it is clear that the film has one objective: create a horror film unlike anything seen before.

Produced by Joss ‘The Avengers’ Whedon, the plot of the film sounds very conventional for teen horror film, where a group of high school teenagers travel to a heavily wooded and ominous part of the country and aim to let loose and party hard. Now in true horror style there is a killer or a virus or a Bigfoot-like Gremlin that picks them off slowly until the best actor among them is still standing – but this isn’t your normal horror film.  It would be a crime for me to spoil the true surprise of the film, but all I will say is that there were moments in this film and in the narrative as a whole that I did not see coming. It is a rarity to be surprised by a horror film – in fact the last time I was surprised in a horror film was ... er... okay I can’t remember, but my point is that this film not only pulls the carpet from out under your feet, it pulls the carpet from out under your feet wraps you in it and throws you off a bridge.

There were so many moments in this film when I reflected on Jeremy’s comment about Stephen King, and if this was a novel I would recommend it as a good read. It takes you by the throat, slaps you round the face and shakes off all the generic aspects of horror that we have become accustom to and thrown them back in to make a cocktail that will please, confuse and astound all fans of horror and even cinema in general. Even if you are not a fan of horror or this genre of film, I would advise you, as I did, to forget about every terrible horror ‘film’ you have ever seen and go and see this – it will not disappoint.

So have you seen The Cabin in the Woods? What did you think of the film? Feel free to comment below or contact me via twitter
@Rohanseal221B


No comments:

Post a Comment