Cheeky Quotes

Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Project X - Review

Director:Nima Nourizadeh

Cast Thomas Mann, Oliver Cooper, Jonathan Daniel Brown, Kirby Bliss Blanton, Alexis Knapp

Certificate: 18

Rating: 3/5

We all love a party don’t we? Each and every one of us has in our minds an image of ‘the ultimate party’: whether it includes bouncy castles, piƱatas, and ice-cream, or alcohol, strippers and drugs (or all of them), we all have a dream of one day that party becoming a reality. The latest film produced by Todd Philips and directed by Nima Nourizadeh fulfils this dream, putting all of your twisted party ideas into one ninety minute film: Project X. The film tells of Thomas (Thomas Mann), a just turned seventeen year old boy who, with severe persuasion from his friends Costa and J.B. (played by Oliver Cooper and Jonathan Daniel Brown respectively), holds the party that will change them from the unpopular nobodies, into household college Gods overnight. Through social networking sites and word of mouth, the party grows and grows, becoming everything that the boys dreamed it would be. However, as you can expect, more and more people arrive, and things do not go according to plan.

Now, I was hoping that this film would be, as the trailer suggested,’ Superbad on crack’, and the best party movie I have ever seen. I imagined it to be what you didn’t see in The Hangover, and everything you saw in American Pie. However, the film was lacking something, I am not sure what it was but it just didn’t live up to the hype. Don’t get me wrong it was hilarious in parts, but being produced by Todd Philips I couldn’t help comparing it to The Hangover. Maybe I am wrong to do that, as the films are both completely contrasting, The Hangover is laugh-out-loud hilarious, Project X is just funny; The Hangover is memorable, Project X isn’t.

I am not taking away anything from the fun of the film though, as I would be queuing down the street to get into a party like that. It is, as the poster says, ‘The Party you’ve Only Dreamed about’. The sheer level of chaos at just one party is incomprehensible, with midgets in the oven, smashing windows, cars crashing, motorbike races and flame throwers; the madness ascends from a good time, to chaos, from chaos to stupidity. It brilliant idiotic behaviour, but does that mean it is funny? I was watching this film and realised I had not laughed in about twenty minutes, and for a comedy, that is bad – really bad. However, there are some genuinely hilarious moments, but not funny enough to make you burst out laughing in the middle of the cinema and choke on your popcorn. Maybe I just need to chill and be in the mood for partying when I watch this film.

Overall the film wasn’t terrible, but I will not lie and say it’s the funniest film I have ever seen, because it most definitely isn’t. I would say this is the best comedy of 2012 – that said there haven’t exactly been many comedy films released since January – but I can be certain there will be funnier films to come out this year than Project X. This is a film to see when you are drunk or if you are just about to go for a night out, but in terms of a date movie or a film for watching alone, Project X is not that kind of film.

So have you seen Project X? What did you think of the film? Am I being too harsh? Let me know below or contact me via Twitter.

@Rohanseal221B

No comments:

Post a Comment